Job ID 1484044
Mass Insight Education & Research was founded over 25 years ago and partners with states, districts, schools, and communities to implement customized strategies and build capacity to advance equity and opportunity in K-12 education so that all students, particularly those who have been systemically marginalized, are prepared to achieve their academic and personal potential.
Mass Insight has earned a distinguished reputation for having the knowledge and skill to help transform schools and districts, particularly to promote equity and opportunity for all students. Our School Improvement services are organized around our Theory of Action . We have supported schools, districts, and state education agencies in more than 25 states. For the past 15 years, Mass Insight has served as the exclusive provider of the Advanced Placement (AP) STEM and English Program for the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, engaging more than 11,000 students and 650 AP teachers in 93 high schools and 66 districts across the Commonwealth to promote equity and excellence, particularly among students of color and students from low-income families.
To learn more about Mass Insight, please visit
Mass Insight seeks a collaborative and visionary leader to serve as Chief Executive Officer. Building upon more than 25 years of impact, the next CEO will provide strategic leadership, strengthen organizational cohesion, and foster a culture of innovation to grow and expand Mass Insight’s impact on even more districts, schools, and students and possibly develop additional impact areas. The ideal candidate will have a proven commitment to educational equity, a track record of successful leadership at a dynamic and geographically dispersed organization, and the vision and ability to navigate the complex landscape of education policy, funding, and practice.
This is an exciting opportunity for a mission-aligned leader to partner with a dedicated board and talented staff to build upon a successful foundation and position Mass Insight for even greater impact.
Visionary and Strategic Leadership
- In partnership with the Board and leadership team, develop a clear vision for furthering the organization’s mission and goals while steadfastly integrating a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion;
- Lead an inclusive, comprehensive strategic planning process that advances the organization’s goals and ensures long-term sustainability;
- Apply a broad sense of the educational landscape that enables anticipation of potential challenges and opportunities; proactively develop strategic solutions to differentiate Mass Insight nationally;
- Hold and advance commitment to programmatic excellence to extend Mass Insight’s impact on students, schools, and districts at a broader national scale;
- Leverage board and external partners to address opportunities and needs;
- Keep abreast of developments in data science and AI – and other innovations – that could be leveraged to advance Mass Insight’s mission.
Fiscal Sustainability and Revenue Generation
- Ensure short- and long-term financial stability through predictable revenue streams (including multi-year gifts and contracts);
- Provide leadership and support to the new Chief Advancement Officer and advancement team to achieve fundraising goals;
- Ensure sustained financial and operational efficiency across all departments;
- Effectively engage the Board, funders, and other partners to garner resources to support Mass Insight’s work.
Organizational Cohesion Through Growth
- Galvanize and inspire the team by effectively communicating a clear strategic vision, ensuring alignment across the organization;
- Strengthen internal infrastructure to support the growth of a national and geographically dispersed organization;
- Build, lead, and retain a high-performing, diverse team;
- Support newly-formed leadership team cohesion;
- Build thought leadership and innovation capacity around national policy trends, challenges, and opportunities;
- Build and sustain management practices consistent with a strong public sector consulting and professional services organization;
- Foster an equitable and inclusive culture in support of a diverse team.
External Awareness and Brand
- Serve as the public face of Mass Insight with internal and external audiences, developing and maintaining strong relationships with key stakeholders;
- Communicate effectively through storytelling with a wide variety of audiences, tailoring the style, method, and content of messages accordingly;
- Actively engage with diverse stakeholders, including staff, school partners, and funders, to promote Mass Insight’s mission and values;
- Expand awareness and support by successfully engaging district leaders, policymakers, current and prospective funders, and other strategic partners;
- Further strengthen and message Mass Insight’s value proposition, brand, impact, and future vision consistently with internal and external stakeholders.
- 10 + years of proven experience in senior leadership roles with a track record of achieving significant measurable results, ideally in the education and/ or nonprofit sectors;
- Positive track record of creating or contributing to an environment that promotes diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism;
- Strong understanding of educational systems, policy, research, best practices, and current trends and challenges in the education sector nationally;
- Demonstrated success in fundraising, revenue generation, financial management, and strategic planning;
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to engage and inspire diverse internal and external stakeholders;
- Demonstrated business and entrepreneurial acumen; building a revenue-generating business line or taking an initiative from an idea to a sustaining program is a plus;
- Evidence of leading and building authentic relationships with community partners, policymakers, funders, and other supporters, and an ability to engage with various individuals and audiences;
- Track record of fostering innovation and use of technology to advance educational equity.
This position offers a competitive salary range that begins at $265,000 and robust medical, dental, and retirement benefits. For additional questions about this position or to speak with someone about your interest, please contact Zachary Harr at .
Location and Travel
Mass Insight is based in Boston, though this position can be remote, with regular travel to Massachusetts and other locations Mass Insight serves.
Mass Insight is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to maintaining a nondiscriminatory work environment. Mass Insight does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other personal characteristic protected by applicable law.
We encourage applicants of diverse backgrounds to apply for any open position for which they feel qualified. We believe that we have a responsibility to recruit, retain, and develop a diverse and talented staff.